Wow! Well I can actually do a top 10 this year fairly easily rather than the measly 5 I did last year. Not an amazing year I’d say but some great albums thrown in there. Some pretty established names and some new ones for me.
I’ve tried to only include albums that were released in 2012. But if it was released in 2011 and I got it in 2012 then it sneaks in too! So here goes …
10. Muse – The 2nd Law (UK)
It certainly grabbed my attention when it came out. A wonderfully silly Olympics song that only really made sense as part of the album. Good to get back in to Muse a bit.
9. Mystery Jets – Radlands (UK)
Catchy catchy songs. I hit ‘repeat’ quite a few times this year.
8. Hurray for the Riff Raff – Look out Mama (US)
Heard about this one from NPR’s All Songs Considered podcast. It’s basically one lass (Alynda Lee Segarra) from New Orleans. Kinda country / folky / great.
7. Django Django (UK)
Beta Band inspired catchiness.
6. Jack White – Blunderbuss (US)
Really got into this one. He’s America’s Damon Albarn. Sorta….
5. Cults (US)
More catchy, poppy songs. With a female lead singer. Must’ve been what I was into this year.
4. Regina Spektor – What we saw from the cheap seats (US)
And more of the same from Regina. Probably her strongest overall album yet I reckon.
3. Dawes – Nothing is Wrong (US)
Got thrashed earlier on this year. Good ol’ middle of the road alt country (sounds terrible, I know) with classic songs.
2. First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar (Sweden)
Like Stu, I loved this immediately. Such a sweet album.
1. Black Keys – El Camino (US)
And yeah – gig of the year too. They were amazingly good live and this just rocks!
- Lana Del Rey – Born to Die
- Rodriguez – Searching for Sugar Man soundtrack
- Cat Power – Sun
- Calexico – Algiers and The Guard soundtrack
- Dirty Projectors – Swing Lo Magellan
- Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls
- Pajama Club – Pajama Club
- Metric – Synthetica
- Avett Brothers – The Carpenter
Older albums I’ve listened to lots, probably more than the 2012 lot
- Black Sabbath – their first 3 albums
- Beastie Boys – Sounds of Science mainly
- Beirut – The Rip Tide
- Dan Auerbach – Keep it hid
- Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue
- Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
- Robert Plant – Band of Joy
To listen to in 2013
- Beach House
- Fiona Apple
- Sleigh Bells
- Sharon Van Etten